At the weekend I finished reading ‘A Fine Romance’ by Susan Branch. A book about her voyage to England on the Queen Mary 2. The book starts off with the transatlantic crossing from New York, here she shares her experiences of life aboard the ship. A Fine Romance follows their journey throughout England, visiting places like the Cotswolds, Yorkshire and The Lakes. She also takes us to the homes of Jane Austen and Beatrix Potter.
The book travels back in time touching on when Joe and Susan met, and mentions how their relationship blossomed. The voyage to England starts on the remarkable ship ‘The Queen Mary 2’ embarking from New York. They will be spending two months in England travelling around various parts of the UK, where they will be visiting friends and national trust properties along the way. The book features beautiful illustrations and photographs of their travels. And this book wouldn’t be complete without the recipes!
It was an easy read which I couldn’t put down (I finished reading this within a week), it quickly became my bedtime reading. I was saddened when I turned the last page and the trip was over. So much so, I’ve just ordered Martha’s Vineyard and The Fairy Tale Girl. I plan on purchasing a couple of Susan Branch books each month as a treat to myself.
This would be the perfect read for anyone who loves the English countryside and historic properties belonging to the National Trust.
Have you read any books by Susan Branch? What was your favourite?
Rating – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
My reading goals for 2017 are
1) To read one book a month and write a review for that book on my blog
2) To not feel guilty if I don’t pick a book up everyday
3) To fully immerse myself in the story
4) To limit the number of books I purchase in 2017 to 10, this doesn’t include gifts or a pack of books (The Bookpeople offers).
5) To only stick to bookstores – Waterstones, Book Depoistory and The Bookpeople to avoid impulse purchases from supermarkets.
6) To read six Christmas themed books starting from the last week of November until the end of December (this is not included in my one book a month challenge)
The books I’d like to read in 2017 are as follows
1) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (followed by the film)
2) The Inspector and Mrs Jeffries by Emily Brightwell
3) High Rising by Angela Thirkell
4) The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Annim
5) The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham
6) My Story by Jo Malone
7) The Town in Bloom by Dodie Smith
8) Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (followed by the BBC adaptation)
9) The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
10) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (followed by the BBC adaptation)
11) A View of the Harbour by Elizabeth Taylor
12) Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
I would also like to read in 2017
• Wait for me by Deborah Devonshire
• The Light Years by Elizabeth Jane Howard
• Elizabeth Fry by Dennis Bardens
• A Fine Romance by Susan Branch
I have also decided to only keep the books I would re-read again. The books that I’ve read but didn’t love will be donated to my library or charity. What are your reading goals for 2017?